A few months back i wrote about my ongoing dilemma with my children’s skin. For many many months now, both of my children have been suffering terribly from eczema & i have been on a quest to help their poor little skin heal. We have tried a gluten free, dairy free, egg free diet (otherwise known as the ‘fun free’ diet by my husband). They have been slathered in coconut oil, bathed in olive oil & drinking pure water ….all to no avail.
Then suddenly….it disappeared!
I had recently introduce the Enviroclean range of cleaning products to my home and had just begun their laundry detergent. At first I wasn’t convinced that it was the detergent, i had always used a ‘natural brand’ from the supermarket, i knew it wasn’t completely natural, but thought it was as good as it got when it came to ‘natural’ laundry detergents. However, we then went away for a week and the kids clothes were washed in regular detergent…… low and behold both of their skin flared up terribly!
I’m not yet game to cut out some of our other ‘anti-eczema’ activities, after all they are all generally great for our health anyway, but i am confident that i have found our culprit.
For those suffering eczema here is our ‘anti-eczema’ routine:
- Soap free bathing, with the addition of a little cacoa butter to the water on occassion
- Apply Weleda Rash Releif Cream to affected area then Weleda Skin Food on top to form barrier
- Take a good quality Fish Oil daily
- Take a good look at the foods you eat and how your body responds. When you pay attention, your body is full of useful information (Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Salicylates can be some of the big ones to watch out for)
- and of course, take a good look at your Laundry Detergent, it may just be that simple.
Here’s to healthy skin.